Tuesday, January 22, 2013

DIY His & Her's Coffee Mugs


As much as I would love to take credit for this idea, I saw it all over Pinterest and have been wanting to give it a whirl.  It just so happened that our first wedding anniversary was coming up, and I needed a perfect and personal small gift for the Hubs.  

Anyways-- these make awesome gifts and are a very inexpensive way to add some charm to your coffee mug collection.  (Ehh hem... your company called, and they want all of their cheesy, logo mugs they give away at the Christmas party back!

So without further addooooo... (I know that's spelled wrong, but I'm too tired and lazy right now to look up the correct spelling.  Sorry to all you grammar nazi's reading this.)

DIY His & Her's Coffee Mugs

You will need:

-An oven
-Sharpie(s)
-Coffee mug(s)
-Cookie Sheet

Directions:

1.  Remove any price stickers and clean your coffee mugs.  You can wipe them down with rubbing alcohol if you want, but honestly, I've done it both ways and soap and water seems to be just fine. 


2.  Write your design on your mug.  The options are endless!  I chose to use a line from our first dance because I wanted it to be meaningful!  I also added some personalization on the bottom of the mug.  You will want to go over it with the sharpie more than once to give it a good, bold color.

3.  Set them on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.  It's best to put them in and THEN turn on your oven.  BUT-- when I made these I forgot to do it that way and they turned out just fine. 



4.  Remove, cool, & enjoy! 



Viola!  You now have some super cute new mugs that didn't set you back $15 each OR have your a company logo on them! 



xoxo
Dani

Have you tried this?  Share any other tips in the comments below!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried washing these yet? I've heard different things about how this does work, or that you need special sharpies for it to work or the writing washes off. Just wondering what you found when you washed these. I'd like to try something like this for Father's Day from the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh darn it I sat and typed out a long reply to this and I have no idea what happened! The short version of what I typed was that it held up through three washes, so the last time I washed them I was a little more rough with and scratched one of them up a bit! Oops!

      Normally I would use an enamel paint of some sort, but I think the enamel is a pain to work with, and it's a much longer process so I skipped it for this project.

      Delete