Saturday, January 12, 2013

Un-"wine"-ed

It's really ironic that as I am starting this blog, I'm actually on a fast.  So I haven't even had any wine in 12 days.  Now, this probably makes me sound like a big lush, but I promise you that's not the case!  The thing is, for me, writing usually looks like this...

- Put the girls to bed
- Clean kitchen & pickup living room (or if I'm being honest, load dishwasher, swipe crumbs from the counter into the sink, and throw any toys in living room into the catch-all basket.)
- Pour small glass of wine, and drink half while I peruse around facebook, news articles, and decide what to write about.
- Start writing, realize my glass is now empty, refill, and go back to writing.

There is just something therapeutic about drinking my wine, unwinding, and writing.  I suppose it's sort of like baseball players and chew, or a bride insisting on wearing something blue.  It's not really necessary, but to me, they tend to go hand in hand, and I like it that way. 

So this week, and for another 8 days, instead of being The "Winey" Mom, I guess I'm the Un-"wine"-ed Mom.  It's been good, tempting, and refreshing.  But above all, I've been able to focus on what really matters.  And that is that no bottle of Merlot or crisp, chilled Chardonnay in all of their grape-ey goodness can measure up to the amazing peace that God can bring when I seek him.  God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.  With that...I leave you with an excerpt from Psalm 46:10. 






xoxo
Dani

1 comment:

  1. It's always good to take breaks now and again - even when it isn't a big bad habit. It helps reveal a new side of us.

    ReplyDelete